Friday, June 3, 2011

Lap-Band vs Gastric bypass

Ive had my heart set on Lap-band . Ive done copious amounts of research . Im constantly checking lapbandtalk.com to find out more more more ! But this morning I checked my BMI . Its 48.5 ! Lucky me being short ! ugh. Anyway , now im thinking maybe Gastric bypass would be another option for me. I just wont know for sure until i meet with the surgeon. Another thing to consider is the recovery time for the bypass. I have a new baby at home and  i really dont think I can swing that. Theres of course Pros and Cons to both of these procedures . So here they are . 


 LapBand -  Pros  
                                   
Not major surgery 
Recovery time is short 
Lose 50 - 60 % of your weight
Little long term health risk 
You can still eat a regular diet pretty much . Just less. 
Can still carry out a pregnancy healthy
Easily reversible 




 Lap Band - CONS 

 The port sticking out the side of my tummy : / 
Getting & maintaing fills 
Mechanical device in you forever 
Cost of fills 
Getting sick " Pbing " 
"Sliming "  extra salava when band is too tight
 Getting "Stuck "  - Food getting stuck in the band 
Erosion  may occur around the band 
 "Slipage " may occur 
Extream amount of weight loss will require plastic surgery to clean up the after math .




    Gastric Bypass - PROS 


70 - 80 % of your weight is lost in 1- 2 years  ! 80% wow ! 
No fills to worry about 
Very small amount of food. About 1oz. (This could be a Con as well). 
No real maintenance required other than occasional  Drs visit 
No Device on my tummy


  Gastric bypass - CONS 


RECOVERY TIME IS 3 MONTHS !!! whaaat?!!!
Invasive surgery 
They reroute your lower insteins 
"Dumping "  - getting sick 
The scars are much worse 
EXTREME weight loss requires plastic surgery to clean up the after math and then some!


  Well, thats all I can think of right now . I also dont know everything there is to know about either of these procedures but this is what I do know so far. I wish i knew more people that ive had the Gastric bypass. There dont seem to be too many on the forums I visit. 







No comments:

Post a Comment